"How to be Prepared for your Insurance Examination"
When you apply for life or health insurance, certain routine medical tests and/or examinations are required by the insurance company's underwriters based on your age and the amount of insurance. The following are brief explanations of these medical tests / examinations, along with some hints for obtaining the best results.
A paramedical exam consists of questions about your medical history, measurements of your height, weight, blood pressure and pulse. No undressing is necessary. The paramedical exam takes 15-20 minutes. A urine specimen is usually required.
For Best Results:
- No beverages containing alcohol or caffeine for 24 hours prior to exam.
- Avoid tobacco use for at least one hour.
- Drink a glass of water an hour before your examiner arrives so you can provide a urine specimen.
- Have ready the names/addresses of doctors you have consulted in the last five years. You will be asked the dates of, and reasons for these visits.
- Have identification available. A Photo ID is preferred. Be sure to tell the examiner about any medications you are taking (prescription or otherwise).
- Call your examiner or our office to change your appointment if you are ill.
Collection of blood is done by means of venipuncture (arm) or fingerstick (finger), as requested by the Underwriting Department. This takes about 5-10 minutes to complete. All needles are new, 100% sterile and are never reused. You will be shown that the seal on the needle cover is intact and hear the seal as it breaks when opened. When the seal is not broken, the manufacturer guarantees that the needle is sterile. A urine specimen is generally required.
FOR BEST RESULTS:
4-HOUR FAST: Nothing to eat, only water to drink.
Alternative to a four hour fast is a light, healthy meal.
RESTING EKG (ELECTROCARDIOGRAM)
An EKG is a recording on graph paper of the electrical impulses associated with the heart's contractions and relaxation. Placement of tabs on arms, legs and chest area is necessary so the machine can pick up impulses. This takes 10-15 minutes.
FOR BEST RESULTS:
- Rest 15 minutes prior to the test.
- You will need a place to lie down during the EKG.
- Abstinence from beverages containing caffeine, exercising and any stress induced activities for twelve hours prior to the exam.
- Female patients may feel more comfortable wearing some sort of bikini top or other cover on your bodice for privacy, as tabs will be placed on your chest area, arms and lower legs.
You will be contacted by Prime Medical Testing Inc., an insurance support organization that provides paramedical and medical services. They will confirm or schedule a convenient time, date and place for your medical exam. Prime Medical Testing Inc. is a mobile service of experienced medical examiners which comes to you at home or at work during the day, evenings or weekends.
RESULTS OF EXAMINATION
All results are EXTREMELY CONFIDENTIAL! Neither Prime Medical Testing Inc. nor your agent has access to them.